Connect with China Grove: Instagram Facebook



The Town is divided into various zoning districts. For each zoning district, there is a list of uses that are permitted in that specific zoning district and conditionally permitted with approval of a Conditional Use Permit. When looking for a place to start or relocate your business, it is important to make sure the zoning on the site allows the proposed use. Refer to the Town’s Zoning Map and Unified Development Ordinance for details. 

New Residences & Adding to Existing Residences
The Town of China Grove adopted the Unified Development Ordinance in 2005 and updated it on June 1st, 2021. No building, land or portion thereof, shall be erected, used, moved or altered except in conformity with the Town's Unified Development Ordinance. 

To obtain a zoning permit for proposed changes to existing structures or new construction for any property within the Town limits or Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) of the Town of China Grove , please complete the appropriate application and upload a site plan (to scale) and the applicable water/sewer permit (public or private) via the online link shown below.. 

Once the permit is approved, a notification of approval and a payment link will be sent.  Upon receipt of payment, the zoning permit will be emailed.  Please note a copy of your zoning permit and water/sewer permit will be needed to request any applicable permits from Rowan County Building Code.  Please feel free to contact the Planning & Development Department at (704)857-2466 if you have any questions or need additional assistance.


Setback Requirements
Setback requirements may be found in Chapter 7 of the UDO

Special Accessory Building Requirements
Special requirements for accessory buildings can be found in Chapter 8 of the UDO

Fences and walls are allowed to be built along property lines and are subject to zoning requirements.  In general, fences may not exceed six (6) feet in height along the rear and side property lines and must have the supporting posts on the inside (facing the fence owner’s property) - requirements can be found in Chapter 8 of the UDO.

Building Design Requirements
Building design requirements may be found in Chapter 13 of the UDO