Downtown Trick or Treating
* Orange and black are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall harvest and black is
Thursday, October 31, 2019
4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Join our participating Downtown merchants for a fun and safe community Halloween for the entire family!
Prepare for a hauntingly good time as the scary, the cute, the ugly and the creepy descend on Downtown China Grove.
Here are some fun Halloween facts:
associated with darkness and the longer nights that winter brings.
* Jack o’ Lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away
spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.
* Pumpkins also come in green, red, white, blue, yellow and even tan!
* Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around
a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
* Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.
* The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing
masks and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.
* Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States.
* Chocolate candy bars top the list as the most popular candy for trick-or-treaters with Snickers being #1.
* Black cats were once believed to be witch's familiars who protected their powers.