The Town of China Grove operates under the Council-Manager form of government. Under this system, the citizens of China Grove elect a Mayor and a five-member Town Council. The elected Mayor and Town Council set forth policies, goals and direction of the government including adopting necessary laws.
The Town Manager is appointed by the Town Council, and is directly in charge of all departments of the local government as well as all personnel, and oversees the day-to-day operation of the Town government. The Manager is also responsible for the development and administration of the Town’s Annual Budget and Capital Improvement Plan and acts as a liaison between the citizens by reporting issues to the Mayor and Town Council. The Town Manager is assisted in his duties by the Assistant Town Manager, and Town Clerk.
Some of the general duties of the Town Manager are to:
- Assure that laws and ordinances are enforced
- Appoint and remove department heads and employees on the basis of merit and to exercise control and supervision over all departments
- Make recommendations to the Town Council concerning the affairs of the Town including plans for short and long-range improvement projects
- Keep the Council advised about financial conditions and future needs
- Prepare and submit the annual budget
- Prepare and submit reports as they may be required by the Council
- Keep the public informed, through reports to the governing body, of the operations of the Town government.